Our Crab Louie salad is not only delicious but also visually stunning, making it the perfect dish to serve on Mother’s Day.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish, drained
- Optional: for a spicier dressing add chili sauce or add extra horseradish
- 3/4 pound asparagus
- Two 6-ounce romaine hearts, cut crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 4 large radishes, thinly sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges (optional)
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, cut into wedges
- 1 pound crabmeat, preferably Dungeness
- Black olives for garnish
- To make the dressing, add all ingredients except for the sweet pickle relish to a food processor. Process until smooth, then add in the relish. Transfer to a serving dish.
- In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the asparagus until just tender, 3 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Arrange the romaine, radishes, tomatoes, eggs, and asparagus on a platter. Top with large chunks of the crabmeat and serve, passing the dressing at the table.